[Wylug-discuss] Uptimes

Martyn Ranyard martyn at syn.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 12:18:52 GMT 2004

Quoting Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>:
> Well, since I responded to a post on the list, I must be reading and
> participating in the list, yes?

But not necessary recieving it via email, you could be viewing it on the web or
recieving digests.

> So why on earth would I want a reply that is personally-addressed? It looks
> like somebody is taking stuff off-list, and it's very annoying if you
> compose a reply to them to then find that the message was also sent to the
> list, and it would have been better to provide a reply for everybody to
> read.

Immediate replies to digest-mode for one, auto-filtering to folders and things
that arrive in the inbox are more important for another.  There are more, but
there are valid reasons.  If you want to know if it's gone to the list too,
check the to: and cc: headers.

This kind of debate really increases mail traffic and I've never seen it
resolved in a sensible way, apart from just not moaning about personal preference.

> Use a proper MUA then :p

There's too many, and without the whole reply-to munging debarcle, you end up
with more reply options than you can shake a stick at.  Besides, I have valid
reasons for using imp.

--
Martyn Ranyard
Development Manager