[Wylug-discuss] Adding a wireless router to an existing network

Dan Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 1 10:07:35 GMT 2004

gARetH baBB wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Dan Walker wrote:
>

>>The latest (Dec2004) issue of Computer Shopper has a review of wireless
>>access points; the winning one is the Kcorp KLG-575 108g Wireless Access
>>Point Firewall Gateway Router (over-spec, I know) which is £65 on Scan,
>>and the matching card is Prism-based.
>

> As there are no Conexant cards which do a "108M" mode, then how it's a
> "matching card" is a mystery.
>
> The KCorp looks like another Globalsuntech Atheros-chipset based router -
> ie. exactly the same as the DI-624 and several others putting the
> Globalsuntech GL2454RT-QA board in a box and sticking their name on it.

the 'matching card' - KLS-520 - on

http://www.kcorplifestyle.com/products/silverSeries/KLS-520/KLS-520.htm

There's a FAQ "Can it be used under Linux?" at the bottom (Query: if the
Question is asked 'Frequently', why haven't they sorted out official
support?) it says the chipset is "Prism GT™ chipset from Intersil (now
GlobespanVirata)" and "parts of the firmware are based on open-source
code". Fascinating.

I confess that I know little-to-nothing about WiFi, but Computer Shopper
is normally quite reliable for their head-to-head lab tests.