[Wylug-discuss] Adding a wireless router to an existing network

Martin Rowe linux at dbg400.net
Tue Nov 23 22:32:39 GMT 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 13:18, Martin Rowe wrote:
> On Monday 01 November 2004 10:18, gARetH baBB wrote:
[snip]
> > The matching KCorp card is
> >
> > http://www.kcorplifestyle.com/products/goldSeries/KLG-520/KLG-520.htm
> >
> > also Atheros based.
[snip]

I went with the KCORP KLG-575 & KLG-520 combo in the end. My laptop is
running Ubuntu which includes modules for Atheros cards, and it picked up
the card straight away. Now all I need to do is figure out the encryption
options...

...the router supports WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK & 802.1X, as well as open access
with or without MAC filtering. From what I've read, WEP isn't that secure
and WPA seems the better option. WPA support seems to be available, though
some sites I've found point to binary drivers from Linuxant, etc. From this
page
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html
(which seems to be linked to from all over) it seems as though there should
be WPA support included in the madwifi drivers for Atheros based cards -
can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /