[Wylug-discuss] Adding a wireless router to an existing network

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Thu Nov 25 17:09:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Martin Rowe wrote:

> I went with the KCORP KLG-575 & KLG-520 combo in the end. My laptop is

I was going to quote a cheap deal from Expansys for the D-Link version of
this combination, but for the price of the router on its own, but the
offer has just run out.

There are still (just) cheap DI-624s on Ebay (though sometimes with US
PSUs).

> ...the router supports WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK & 802.1X, as well as open access
> with or without MAC filtering. From what I've read, WEP isn't that secure

The insecurity of WEP is very overated - it's isn't perfect, but the
probability of being able to run AirSnort and get the WEP key within a
reasonable (ie. less than a week) time is not so valid now-a-days. Most
WEP implementations now avoid weak IVs anyway.

> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html
> (which seems to be linked to from all over) it seems as though there should
> be WPA support included in the madwifi drivers for Atheros based cards -
> can anyone point me in the right direction?

Look for Xsupplicant.