[Wylug-discuss] Experience with embedded Linux

Mischa Oliver Altmann een2moa at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 29 15:06:50 GMT 2004

Dear WYLUG,

I'm currently involved in a project of creating a (minimal) webserver on an
embedded system used for remote monitoring/controlling.
[skip to last paragraph if you dont want details...]
  I started out with "TCP/IP Lean"[1] as recommended by my supervisor.
While the book (and product) is useful, it focuses on building a TCP/IP
connectivity from scratch using C. I feel like I am reinventing the wheel
as simliar applications (web servers,...) have been created on embedded
linux for quite a while now.
  Recently my supervisor suggested that it might be useful to include not
only stdandard ethernet connectivity but possible WLAN, bluetooth, you
name it recommending that I take a look at the ARM range[2] of embedded
devices.

  Using an ARM opens up the possibility of running a "mini-Linux". A quick
internet search gives way too many solutions and thus I'd be interested in
 anyone here who might have experience with embedded Linux and/or embedded
webservers to give me their personal views?

thanks very much,
  Mischa

____
[1] http://www.iosoft.com
[2] http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/embedded.html

--
Mischa Oliver Altmann
Student Representative of Level 3, Elec.Engineering

personal website: http://www.altmann.at/~mischa (in a terrible state)