[Wylug-discuss] Linux driver install

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.ndo.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 10:56:49 BST 2004

I have a Dell Server which has 2 x 69 GB SCSI HD's and a SCSI tape drive, with 1.5Gb Memory. I need to add more HD so I've bought 2 x 200 Gb HD EIDE. The existing EIDE primary has just a CD on it. The secondary EIDE does not like the extra HD's on it (stops with message about ServerWorks).

So I installed an 8212 PCI Raid Express Card, which was a bit picky as to which PCI slot would work. Also, I had to set the HD’s to cable select to get it to see them.

Then there is a menu to select Raid type, including one type normal, which just treats each HD as a separate HD, which is what I want.

But now the card needs Linux drivers, which I have downloaded in binary for RedHat 8.0. But I’m wary of the stuff it says to do as the existing primary HD’s are SCSI and its saying to do stuff which looks a lot like it already does on boot up for existing HD’s. I attach the readme file for RH8. Any advice gratefully received. I've got Webmin and can use command line - with guidance.

Thanks

Nick

N.G. Moulsdale FCA
Group Finance Director