[Wylug-discuss] Setup fest?

RichardA pingvin at simaric.net
Fri Oct 29 18:14:09 BST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:02:09 +0100, "Harvie, David"
<david.harvie at ntu.ac.uk> wrote:> Hello.

> I've been running GNU/Linux (Red Hat 9) for perhaps a year now and am
> struggling to do pretty much anything beyond using Mozilla. Even using
> books such as Linux for Dummies I am still unable to:
>
> reliably mount and unmount CD drive;

I had problems mounting and unmounting removable drives on Mandrake for
years. I usually ended up opening a root terminal and wrestling with
mount, fam, lsof... Changed to Ubuntu a month ago, and it all seems to
'just work'. Something to do with hald and udev, I think. None of this
answers your question, though. Try posting in wylug-help with more
details - window manager, actions taken, error messages, etc.

> burn CDs;

K3b doesn't work? What does cdrecord say if you try it?

> listen to the radio.

Using which app? What type of streaming file?

> I'd also like to be able to do other basic stuff such as:
> use a text editor such as Emacs to manage e-mail (I don't much like
> Evolution);

Are you sure you want to use Emacs to read your email? KMail is good, as
is Sylpheed. If it's a text mode reader you want, try Mutt.

> upload digital camera images.

Probably another removable drive. See above.