[Wylug-discuss] best sig ever

Dan Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 3 09:38:06 BST 2004

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Dan Walker wrote:
>
>> Oh, I'm glad that's not just me. My little Samsung ML4500 has terrible
>> trouble when I try to print nasty large graphics, especially directly
>> from GIMP for some reason.
>
> Yup, same here, and this is onto a beefy 128Mb Colour Laserjet...  Print
> from
> windows to a file, lob that at the linux queue, and it will work 99
> times in
> 100.  Ah well, we are playing catch-up after all...

Actually, I tend to find that printing from GIMP to a file and then
either using lpr to print it or using ps2ps to rewrite the postscript
before printing works, too. What confuses me is that surely the
rasterisation is being done on the PC, and so it shouldn't matter what
the content is by the time the printer gets it.

Dan