[Wylug-discuss] best sig ever

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Sep 3 11:13:58 BST 2004

--
On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 09:38, Dan Walker wrote:
> John Hodrien wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Dan Walker wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, I'm glad that's not just me. My little Samsung ML4500 has terrible
> >> trouble when I try to print nasty large graphics, especially directly
> >> from GIMP for some reason.
> >
> > Yup, same here, and this is onto a beefy 128Mb Colour Laserjet...  Print
> > from
> > windows to a file, lob that at the linux queue, and it will work 99
> > times in
> > 100.  Ah well, we are playing catch-up after all...
>
> Actually, I tend to find that printing from GIMP to a file and then
> either using lpr to print it or using ps2ps to rewrite the postscript
> before printing works, too. What confuses me is that surely the
> rasterisation is being done on the PC, and so it shouldn't matter what
> the content is by the time the printer gets it.
>
> Dan

While we're at it.... ;-)

Graphics seem to stuff up my laserjet too. It's an old-ish 2100, but
it's had the RAM beefed up to 20MB. If I throw a file at it that
contains even a few little low-res images, it takes ages to print. I'm
quite sure that wouldn't be the case on windows.

The printer isn't *that* ancient. For example, I've been looking at
houses to move to (we've outgrown ours) and if I print a web page with
maybe 6 or 7 300x200 (ish) pixel images and some text, which results in
maybe three pages of output, it takes about 5 minutes to process it.

ANyone any ideas?

James

--
James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*