[Wylug-discuss] Wireless oddness

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Tue Aug 2 21:48:36 BST 2005

Hi

There seems to be quite a lot of noise about wireless here, so I thought
I'd post a question here, basically connection loss.

I've got a linksys WRT54GS2 router running in WPA-PSK mode, with MAC
access restrictions on, and I use a D-Link DWL-G650 wireless card in my
laptop, with /home mounted from via NFSi (NFS server on the router's
external interface, so packets coming through the firewall), and I'm
using wpa_supplicant to manage the WPA auth.

I can get get a wifi connection using either the madwifi drivers (ath0)
or the windows driver through ndiswrapper (wlan0) but after a while the
connection dies (dmesg only reports 'nfs server not responding'). I can
usually re-establish connection by running dhclient manually.

When the connection first fails, it is usually after the laptop's been
running for a while, I can often reconnect using dhclient but then the
connection drops off much sooner.

During this, I've not moved the laptop, and its got good signal
strength. There seems to be some correlation with the traffic volume as
it seems to cut out sooner if I'm watching videos that are on the NFS
mounted volume than if I'm just generally poking about on the internet.

So, any suggestions?

--
Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu http://patter.mine.nu/ GPG: E3E8E974
Jabber: patter on jabber.earth.li MSN: stephenpatterson893 at hotmail.com
"Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."
  -- Melissa O'Brien