[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 10:48:48 BST 2005

Not really a linux question, but one that has to be sorted before I can get
my new laptop set up with linux and Internet access.

You may remember that I asked for suggestions for extending the LAN where
additional cabling was not an option.  Of all the suggestions I received I
decided that the best option was to add an additional router/WAP.  The
proposed addition would look like this:

      |  ADSL line

     ___
     | |   Router/WAP (D-Link)
     ---
     |\ \
     | \ \
     |  \ \ Other workstations

     ___
     | |   Second router/WAP (Acer)
     ---
     |		---
     |		| | Wireless laptop
     |		---
   Workstation

I'm familiar with configuring routers, but I've never done bridging before,
and I've been advised to keep the two routers on separate subnets, to
avoid conflicts in any situation where signal may be received by both
routers.  This leaves me with a few things to get straight before I start
putting it together.

Looking at the setup manual for the new router, it looks straightforward,
except that I'm not sure what should be done about the page where you
enter the WAN and DNS details.  Should they be the same as the other
router, even though there is no direct access to the WAN?  I wouldn't have
thought so, but can't see what else should be there.

Then there's the problem of bridging.  The D-Link router has a
configuration page called Bridge Filters, which seems to be a place where
particular mac addresses are allowed/denied.  Is this what I need?

Can anyone point me to a how-to on setting this up?  Thanks

Anne