[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Wed Aug 10 11:21:39 BST 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I'm familiar with configuring routers, but I've never done bridging before,
> and I've been advised to keep the two routers on separate subnets, to
> avoid conflicts in any situation where signal may be received by both
> routers.

Erm, by someone who obviously doesn't understand how wifi works - you want
both APs to have the same SSID and have the same network behind it (though
they technically don't have to be on the same channel) - that way you can
roam transparently between the two, your client will automatically
associate and re-associate with the BSSID with the best quality signal.

> Looking at the setup manual for the new router, it looks straightforward,
> except that I'm not sure what should be done about the page where you
> enter the WAN and DNS details.  Should they be the same as the other
> router, even though there is no direct access to the WAN?  I wouldn't have
> thought so, but can't see what else should be there.

You want to ignore the WAN bit entirely - just use the LAN bit and pretend
the thing is really just a plain bridging AP.