[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 17:00:13 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 Aug 2005 15:53, Jim Jackson wrote:

> Actually you may be ok with what you've got. I'm assuming the new box
> has the wireless, 4 Ethernet ports and an ADSL port?
>
> If so just forget about the ADSL port, and consider the box as a switch
> and WAP combined.
>
> Here's what I'd do.....
>
> 1) configure the new box
>     Give it a unique IP address on your LAN etc
>     Disable any DHCP server, or DNS server/proxy it might want.
>
> 2) plug one of the 4 ethernet ports on the new box onto the end
>     of the wire from the main router.
>     Now  connect a wired machine into another port on the new box and
> the it should work just fine - it should be able to browase the internet
> etc and see everything on your network.
>
> 3) then configure the wireless side of the new box - configure it
>     to use the same SSID[1] as the main WAP. Set up the same WEP key if
> you are using WEP, and/or register whcih MAC addresses you are going to
> let thru.
>
> I don't think anything else is needed.

Another fine mess I've got myself into :-)  OK - the position at the moment
is this:

The lan uses ip range 192.168.0, whereas the new router defaults to
192.168.1.  I changed the IP of one of the Mandrake boxes because I'm more
familiar with that than with the XP box, and accessed the setup pages.  I
made all the changes I thought necessary, then set its IP to a 192.168.0
setting.  Somewhere among those settings I did something stupid, because
the wan light went crazy.  At that point I decided that a factory reset
was in order so that I could start again.  Unfortunately I can no longer
access the setup pages at all.  It doesn't respond either to the factory
default 192.168.1.1 or the 192.168.0.2 that I gave it.

I may have to sleep on this in the hope of enlightenment.

Anne