[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Seb James seb at hypercubesystems.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 14:44:50 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 14:13 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 Aug 2005 16:59, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I may have to sleep on this in the hope of enlightenment.
> >
> Well - sort of a conclusion.  By cabling the way Jim suggested I was able
> to browse the lan and the Internet.  I could not, though get back to the
> router's setup pages to configure the wireless part - and that was the
> original reason for buying the unit.  I could ping other boxes on the lan,
> but I could not get any reply from the IP that I believed the router to be
> set to.  After a lot of experimentation, all failing, I had a long
> conversation today with Acer's tech support.  The upshot is that, as I
> suspected, the factory default reset is not working.  Neither the man I
> spoke to or the colleagues he consulted could think of any way of
> ascertaining the IP that the router is using.  Since it has failed within
> 5 days of purchase it is now officially DOA.  I have to pack it up for
> courier collection.  Hopefully in a few days I will be able to report
> success with a replacement or repaired box.
>
> Anne

arp might have helped here, if you could have created some sort of
communication between your pc and the faulty router. If there was any
traffic on your network from the router, then its IP address would have
ended up in your Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) tables. /sbin/arp
would display these tables - the translation between the MAC address of
the router and the IP address it had been assigned/given itself. A
useful little program. Also, in situations like these, a non-switching
network hub and a pc/laptop running ethereal is also enormously helpful
- this allows you to look at all the packets transmitted on a given wire
on your network.

Seb James

--
Hypercube Systems Ltd 'Embedded Linux Solutions'
Axiom Tech Open Source Member: www.axiomtech.co.uk