[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 15:38:57 BST 2005

On Friday 12 Aug 2005 14:44, Seb James wrote:

> arp might have helped here, if you could have created some sort of
> communication between your pc and the faulty router. If there was any
> traffic on your network from the router, then its IP address would have
> ended up in your Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) tables. /sbin/arp
> would display these tables - the translation between the MAC address of
> the router and the IP address it had been assigned/given itself. A
> useful little program. Also, in situations like these, a non-switching
> network hub and a pc/laptop running ethereal is also enormously helpful
> - this allows you to look at all the packets transmitted on a given wire
> on your network.

That's worth remembering, thanks.  There was a brief moment of hope that
traceroute might help, but the first hop it registered was the gateway, so
clearly it had cleared the switch transparently.  Anyway, it's packed up
now, ready for collection.  At least the problems have made me get a few
things clearer in my mind, so it should be easier next time.  Thanks for
the reply.

Anne