[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 22:10:09 BST 2005

On Friday 19 Aug 2005 14:01, Nick Moulsdale wrote:
> If I jump in and repeat previous advice, sorry.
> At the risk of stating the obvious, I'll suggest some stuff

It's always worth restating the obvious, just in case something was
overlooked.

> 1.	Reboot the Router. IE disconnect from power supply for 3 minutes.
> 2.	Ensure your little LAN is all on fixed IP addresses. No DHCP.
> 3.	Net Mask should be 255.255.255.0
> 4.	All PC's should be named and all different. No spaces and less than
> 15 characters 5.	For testing turn off all firewalls. You may need to
> allow the 192.168.0.* range of IP addresses. 6.	Try both
> http://192.168.0.5 and https://192.168.0.5 to connect to the router. 7.
Yes - all those are as they should be, but the connection does not work.

> 	If no joy directly connect the router to the Laptop. Set up as
> previously. Then ENSURE you actually save settings. Nearly all hardware
> with a web interface requires positive saving, often followed by a
> reboot. 8.

Everything has been properly saved - and rebooted when necessary.

> Check on Acer's web site for your particular model to see if
> there is any firmware upgrade available. If so do it.

That's the only one left.

> 9. 	If that fails,
> send it back and get a Linksys WRT54GS. It works and uses Linux as its
> operating system. Only problem is you need a separate ADSL modem.
> Linksys are Cisco. Set up is easy and the Wireless Range is good and
> despite some incorrect press it works well with BT broadband and other
> Cable company's product. And its only about £50 from Amazon.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll report back when I have a resolution.

Anne