[Wylug-discuss] linux laptop

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 10:15:14 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:19 +0000, Mischa Oliver Altmann wrote:
> So what is out there in terms of Linux "compatible" laptops at the
> moment?

Quite a few.  My feeling is IBM/Lenovo laptops seem to work well (other
than ATI drivers needed for 3D), HP/Compaq ones are flakey, Sony tend to
be quirky (plus I will not buy from a company that deliberately
distributes spywre).

I am surprised at the reports that Toshiba ones are good under Linux -
they used to be a complete non-starter, so presumably things have
changed.

I suggest checking against the Ubuntu testing pages:-
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops

I'm intending to buy IBM when I next buy a laptop unless the new apples
are irresistible (and I can talk MIS into it).

I currently have a Compaq and feel its a real shame that they managed to
so badly integrate a good set of hardware (the ACPI BIOS is very badly
broken and the video has interesting features.  Suspend sort of works,
resume definitely doesn't).

	Nigel.