[Wylug-discuss] Cron report messages

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 12:03:14 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 11:36 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 16 Dec 2005 11:04, Jason Lander wrote:
> > Ann,
> >
> > > I've got a problem in that cron jobs that run on my server send
> > > reports automatically to me via an alias, but cron jobs on my
> > > workstation do not send automatic reports.  I can force the job to
> > > report by appending a nail command, but that doesn't give the clear
> > > From and Subject labelling that the server reports do.
> >
> > Some versions of cron will allow you to add a line
> >
> >   MAILTO=email at address
> >
> > to the crontab file. If the cron'd commands produce any output, it
> > will be mailed to that address - with a sensible subject line.
> >
> Hmm - server (produces report) is set with MAILTO=email and workstation
> (no report) was set to MAILTO=email at address.  Changed that to match
> server, but still no report.  There must be something else.

Check your email logs to see if the workstation is currently sending
reports that are bouncing or getting filed somewhere unexpected.  Most
likely thing is that reports are being sent, but that the sender
address/domain or recipient domain is something that other systems
refuse because it is invalid.

	Nigel.