[Wylug-discuss] Cron report messages - WORKING

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 14:01:52 GMT 2005

On Friday 16 Dec 2005 12:23, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 16 Dec 2005 11:58, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > Check your email logs to see if the workstation is currently
> > sending reports that are bouncing or getting filed somewhere
> > unexpected. Most likely thing is that reports are being sent, but
> > that the sender address/domain or recipient domain is something
> > that other systems refuse because it is invalid.
>
> It doesn't seem to be so.  I checked /var/spool/mail.  There's
> nothing in errors, and nothing in warnings.  Running the cron job
> 'now' from webmin doesn't create anything in info if I run it without
> the nail command, but creates an entry for the message (which is
> delivered) if it has the nail comand.

I set up a cron chkrootkit on the laptop, and it ran perfectly and gave
me the required report, so I came back to this workstation.  I set up
additional cron chkrootkit jobs for experimentation, and first found
that I could get the reports sent, but they were being delivered
to /var/spool/mail on the local box - which they had not been before.
Further checks showed that in my experimentations I had set the root
alias to just 'anne' at some point, so I reset it to anne at lydgate.net
and now all is well.  They are being delivered to the imap server.

I was going to say 'SOLVED' rather than 'WORKING' but that would be an
overstatement.  I could have sworn that this was where I started from,
but obviously I must have altered something somewhere.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions.

Anne
Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org