[Wylug-discuss] Mandrake and WinXP

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Jan 7 11:54:25 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 10:52, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, James Holden wrote:
>

> > You can boot Linux with XP's boot loader, but it's not the best way to
> > do it.
>
> Just out of interest, why is it not the best way to do it?  If you've got p1
> as windows and p2 as linux, you end up with (normally):
>
> MBR GRUB
> p1  NTLDR
> p2  NOTHING
>
> If you went the other way, wouldn't you just have:
>
> MBR (standard MS boot off active partion code)
> p1  NTLDR
> p2  GRUB
>
> Are you any worse off?

Dunno really. Grub is smarter and more functional than MS's boot stuff.
It makes sense to me to have it as early as possible.

Also, Ben wanted his Linux partition on his second disk, not his second
partition. I think Grub makes this easier, and you don't have to rely on
the MS MBR working properly to boot Linux.

I'm nearing Friday afternoon syndrome though, so I might be talking
cobblers.

James