[Wylug-discuss] Fwd: [expert] Easy USB mounting of hard drives....

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 11:06:07 BST 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Pierre describes hal as a 'cruise missile to swat a fly' and has posted this
> 'easy' solution to the problem.  I haven't tested it yet, but thought it may
> well interest others.

I have to say, I'm quite a fan of the old cruise missile.  I wander up to a
machine that I've not used before, plugin my USB memory stick, and it appears
as /media/usb-jh.  I plugin my card reader as well, and also get
/media/350D-1G, and plugin my mp3 player as well, getting /media/mp3.

I can set policies on how I'd like the fstab entry to be created for devices
(say making them sync writes if they're less than a gig as I happen to like).

Your easy solution solves but one of the problems with USB devices.  It
doesn't solve the problem of easy mounting of your colleagues USB pen that he
wants you to put some work onto.

jh

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
  accepting it."                                      -- Aristotle