[Wylug-discuss] OU's Microsoft policy

geoff fielding geoff.f at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 18:43:09 BST 2005

I am intending to make a complaint to the OU regarding its computer
policy which is 'All University course software is tested on computers
running Microsoft Windows as the cost of supporting other operating
systems i.e. Mac computers, is prohibitive.
Helpdesk advisers will be unable to offer assistance to you, or offer
guidance as to whether you will be able to take a course using this
non-standard configuration of hardware and software.'

My complaint covers the policy itself, the dismissive, almost
non-existent, information in the OU websites and literature regarding
other platforms, and the lack of specific course information about
computing requirements which makes it impossible to detect whether they
may be capable of being fulfilled without a Windows machine.

Specifically I was wanting to apply for the T175 Networked Living:
Exploring Information and Communication Technologies, which is an
introductory course for many different degree courses. However Matt, a
Linux user on the computing helpdesk tells me "You would be unable to
run the T175 cd-rom in Linux unless you were to use wine even then I
wouldn't have much faith in it running correctly."

I am a relevant innocent in the computing field but am very unhappy at
the OU stance. I am sure other Universities etc must provide computing
resources without enforcing the Microsoft monopoly.

I would welcome any information, comments, suggestions etc to enable me
to make a forceful complaint that cannot be simply dismissed, which I
fear would be the outcome with my own limited knowledge.

Thanks
Geoff