[Wylug-discuss] ADSL Router/Switch Recommendation?

Towle, William william.towle at eldon.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 10:27:17 BST 2005

> I bought a D-Link DSL-904 two or three months ago.  It has
> four ports and
> 802.11g wireless, and comes with a usb wireless dongle.  The
> usual web
> interface for setting up, and the firewall is much more
> configurable than my
> previous one.  I think it was around £54, inc. VAT.  I
> haven't tried the
> wireless bit on linux yet, but the windows laptop can use it
> at quite good
> distances.

  I was persuaded to buy a D-Link wireless card to cheapen an overall deal
for housemates (the WYLUG WiFi talk hadn't happened at the time), and I'm
subsequently disappointed with them in general.
  Card-wise, the [SuSE 9.2-built] drivers for the card fail to upload the
firmware, often claiming -erroneously- that the file isn't available (it's
nice and verbose about where it's looking, and I've made sure the
capitalisation matches); router-wise, a friend with a D-Link bridge found he
couldn't program *it* with the configuration settings all the Windows
drivers as run by the Windows boxes had happily accepted, claiming they
weren't supported!

  Fortunately, I didn't end up with an upstairs room and I can get away with
running an ethernet cable down the way, although I fully expect the landlord
to whinge about it in due course on the grounds of safety...

:(
  Wills.