[Wylug-discuss] ADSL Router/Switch Recommendation?

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.ndo.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 13:36:40 BST 2005

> I picked up a Linksys WRT54GS from PC world last night (ADSL + 4
> ethernet and wireless). It works fine, usual linksys web configuration
> :), firewall, MAC accept/deny list on the wireless side, and it groks
> WPA. The inbound firewall looks OK but there's no way to set default
> drop/deny on outbound traffic (through the adsl link).

I'm amazed that you've not looked at the LINUX rewrites of the WRT54GS firmware. There's HyperWRT, Sveasoft, etc. Start the journey at www.wrt54g.com, www.linksysinfo.org, or even www.linksys.com

The WRT54G** series have a firmware written in Linux, available as GPL or compiled for free or money. I've tried the HyperWRT firmware, and it adds little thinks like "Output power".

Essentially All this wireless stuff is good fun, but very limited range, rather like cordless phones. A good repeater for £30 is the Dlink DWL 800AP+ from www.digidave.co.uk, but getting the right MAC address is a pig. The published info is wrong AFAIK.

Hope that helps. BTW setting up the WRT54GS with a BT 205 voyager is easy once you realise that voyager uses 192.168.1.1, so you need to set WRT54GS to 192.168.2.1.

Nick

PS WRT54GS is a 4 port wireless router, but not an ADSL modem.

N.G. Moulsdale FCA
Group Finance Director
Ebi Manufacturing Co Ltd
Sandhill House