[Wylug-discuss] Laptop and wireless questions

Darran Rimron darran at xalior.com
Fri Jul 22 11:15:06 BST 2005

> I'm new to the world of laptops.   I need to run some software that is
> dongle-protected, and it doesn't work under win4lin (tried it on my
> workstation), so I have to keep windows.

Tried VMWare?

 [removable media not listed in bios boot sequence]
> attached, I'm guessing that it is not capable of booting from it.  Is
that
> right?

Probably :(

[weak wifi]
> Is there such a thing as a signal booster?  If so,
> where would it sit in the lan?

There are a couple of different types - some take Ethernet up the bum
and are "just another access point" - they go anywhere you can run the
etherstrand. Others just "eavesdrop" the current wifi and retransmit it
via a second Radio setup (these sit where signal is week, but strong
enough for the device to detect - these things often have bigger than
average antennas) - you need to give them the wifi one the appropriate
security details (WEP, etc) so it can join the current LAN, of course. I
believe apple airports can do this.... BICBW

-D