[Wylug-discuss] Laptop and wireless questions

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Fri Jul 22 18:56:27 BST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > Doesn't really answer why you're running so much Cat5.
> >
> OK - so tell me how I can connect boxes to the switch, in another part of the
> house?  I'm not being awkward - I really don't know how else I could do it.

You say getting cat5 through a hole in a thick wall is a big problem, so
even if on the other side of the wall they go in *completely* opposite
directions you run one cat5 (which can actually give you two 100M
connections, there are four sets of pairs in cat5, 100M only uses 2 sets
of pairs) through the difficult obstacle and buy a cheap 10 quid 8 port
switch for the other side of this wall so you now run more off from there.