[Wylug-discuss] Help: Filesystem crashed

Simon Wood simon at mungewell.org
Fri Jun 10 15:27:32 BST 2005

Hi again Peter,
All may not be lost. As you are working with copies you can start playing around. But it depends on how important the data is, and how much time/effort you want to spent on attempting recovery.

Unless there's something really important on the disk I would just give up, reformat the disk and hope that the same thing doesn't happen agian.

---

If I understand what you are saying is that somehow that the contents of an email has been writen directly to the raw drive (/dev/sda), overwriting the partion table at the start of the disk......

So you have a 128MByte (or what ever) file that can't be read with fdisk and starts with the text of an email if you view. Further in the disk image there are other sections on text that contain your other emails.

So inorder to access the data you will need to restore the partion table for the device (on the copy) and then attempt to access a partion within the file. If you have corrupted the filesystem (within the partition) you may be able restore it/chkfs it from redundant information on the disk.

Have you tried a tool like 'parted' yet? This has a rescue command.

Simon