[Wylug-discuss] Samba 3 Performance

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.ndo.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 12:07:38 GMT 2005

I have recently changed our main Production server from Mandrake 7 and Samba 2 to Centos 3 and Samba 3. Dave H helped - as in did the hard work - and I obtained the Dell Server and watched !

The server is a recycled PowerEdge 2400 P3,CU,667/133,256K,SKT, with 58Gb of SCSI plus 480 GB of IDE On a promise card. The card is supported by the kernel, which is why I chose it. Memory is 1.5 Gb of real matched memory.

Samba is the latest version, but remains running as a Workgroup as opposed to Domain - there were too many Client issues on the 35 workstations.

All Workstations are running Windows XP Pro SP1 and everything runs through 100mb Netgear switches.

Part of the reason for the move was the problems caused by Samba 2 and oplocks, which we had ended up turning off. They are now back on, in the new server.

Since the move, performance has not been sparkling, which confuses me as before all was running on a Compaq 667Mhz with 382 Mb Memory and 80 Mb SCSI.

Any thoughts as to where to start? Highest usages I've seen are 27.3% on CPU, but mostly its 2 or 3%. vmstats shows a q of 1.

I've changed socket options to

TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=25476 SO_SNDBUF=25476

which seems to have helped.

Any further ideas?

N.G. Moulsdale FCA
Group Finance Director