[Wylug-discuss] Project Management software

Chris Davies chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Thu May 26 17:17:33 BST 2005

I wittered:

Jim Jackson wrote:
> Ok I'll bite, it sounds like management bollocks, but no doubt it does
> mean something serious, but what? Just curious.

Consider a small project, where you have three Development "bits" (B, C, D) each
of which is dependent on the Specification (A). All three development bits are
to be done by the same programmer.

Looking purely at the task dependencies you would get a Gantt Chart that looks a
bit like this (fixed fonts):

A	XXXXXXXX
B	        XXXX
C	        XXX
D	        XXXXXX

Unfortunately this means that the single programmer is now supposed to do all
three pieces of work simultaneously - you have a 300% resource allocation.

Resource Smoothing is the term given to the process that adjusts the start dates
of each piece of work so that no resource (i.e. our programmer) is over
allocated. The resulting Gantt Chart might look like this:

A	XXXXXXXX
B	        XXXX
C	            XXX
D	               XXXXXX

Imendio Planner aka Mr Project doesn't do this, and when you have a large number
of tasks and a large number of programmers it gets *very* painful to have to do
it manually.

Regards,
Chris
--