[Wylug-discuss] Two Ideas for Meeting Sessions + another

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 21:26:31 BST 2005

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2005 19:47, Dave Fisher wrote:

Dave, how about adding fonts to the "newbie" session we plan to hold?
Based on last night's questions, there's

Where to get free fonts
Where to buy specifically needed fonts
How to import fonts you already own - beit from windows, pageplus, or
any other application.

> Hi All,
>
> Phil Driscoll wrote to me earlier suggesting that we run an 'ask the
> audience' slot.  The idea's been raised before (by me among many
> others) and I think it's something we should actively consider
> implementing soon.  When speakers are sparse, it could replace an
> 'empty' session, but it could also have a regular slot in a
> lengthened half-time break.  What do you think?

The only snag I see is the elasticity.  Sometimes it would take two
minutes, other times something much more demanding would come up.
OTOH, longer periods could be given to the subject at the following
meeting, if the subject warranted it.

> These are Phil's thoughts on the matter:
> > How about a regular (i.e. every meeting) slot which is just an 'ask
> > the audience' session.
> >
> > I often find I'd like to ask around to see if anyone has any better
> > ideas than Google on some issue (last night, I would have liked to
> > know if anyone had had a play with IP video cameras as I've been
> > tasked to set something up for our neighbourhood watch).

I think that would be a popular subject, if we have anyone capable of
doing it.

> > However,
> > the time to bring up such matters always feels like it should be
> > after the speakers have done their stuff. The problem is that that
> > is precisely when people are itching to go to the pub.

I would imagine, too, that there is some time constraint for clearing
the room?  It should be possible, though, to plan talks to a maximum
length to allow for a short session?

> Along similar participatory lines, I wondered if anyone was brave or
> reckless enough to consider running mini-usability tests during the
> odd meeting?
>
> I was inspired by today's reference to the Better Desktop project
> (http://betterdesktop.org/blog/) on slashdot.
>
> It occurred to me that many of the non-programmers among our
> membership would be quite capable of running a 15-30 minute test on a
> popular application that we all use or would like to use.

That's a very valid way that we could contribute, I think.  It always
seems to me that comparative review always find Microsoft Office to be
easiest to use because they give it to reviewers that have always used
M$ office, and find any other way strange.  You really do need someone
who has totally different skills and outlooks if you want to see things
you would otherwise miss.  I'd certainly volunteer as a guinea-pig, for
any application of any kind.

Anne
Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org