[Wylug-discuss] Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Oct 12 15:08:02 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 14:39 +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
[snip]

> > There are many VoIP enabled ADSL modems these days too, such as the
> > Speedtouch 716, which is ADSL + Router + 4xLAN + 2xVoIP + 802.11g. You
> > configure it with the SIP proxy details of the VoIP provider and then
> > connect your regular house phones up to it along with the Ethernet
> > cabling for the broadband.
>
> It's probably a stupid question, but what does a VOIP router get you,
> that an ordinary router and a web-configurable IP phone don't?

It's got a built in ATA, effectively. At the very least it means you can
use legacy analogue kit with it, like cordless phones and or fax
machines. They keep things nice and neat, with everything in one box
rather than ADSL router + ATA + wireless in separate devices.

> > There's nothing wrong with using Asterisk if you want to do a bit more
> > clever stuff such as multiple voicemail boxes, faxback etc...
>
>  ... mmm .. that stuff would be useful, but what about the
> setup/configuration time?  Have you any direct experience?

Nothing personally, but we have an Asterisk guru here at PN. :-)

james