[Wylug-discuss] Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 15:13:07 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 14:39 +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> It's probably a stupid question, but what does a VOIP router get you,
> that an ordinary router and a web-configurable IP phone don't?

Some, or ideally all, of the following:-
      * VOIP to POTS conversion (ie the ability to plug a standard phone
        in)
      * Traffic shaping/QOS - prioritisation of VOIP traffic over other
        network traffic (stopping downloads killing your phone service)
      * VOIP protocol handling in the firewall/NAT

Are there any home oriented services which would allow you to drop the
BT voice line?  (ie give you a data only line without any additional
service charges to BT for services you probably aren't using)?

Also are there any VOIP routers or similar devices which would allow a
standard phone to automatically switch between a standard POTS
connection in and the VOIP service - probably with distinctive ring
between them, and allow sensible selection of outgoing network?

	Nigel.