[Wylug-discuss] A very low power 16 node cluster.....

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 12:51:40 BST 2005

The group behind Clustermatic

  http://www.clustermatic.org/

have an article in this months Linux Journal, describing their latest
developement cluster. A 16 node, low power, developement cluster that fits
in a plastic toolbox controlled from an attached laptop.

The reason it grabbed my attention is that they've used 16 Technologics
TS7200 ARM boards - the same board that I've got and gave a talk on at
WYLUG last year.

  http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jj/linux/arm-sbc.html

The Linux Journal Resource URL for the article is at

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8533

The group that built it do cluster s/w development. I don't think they are
that interested in performance, but want a low powered development box
that is portable etc. Seemingly they will have it at SC/05 in November

  http://sc05.supercomputing.org/

They are developing cluster stuff to work across mixed architecture
clusters using stuff from Plan9

  http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/

I think the things that is shows wonderfully is Linux's wonderful
crossplatform reach. If you can do it on IA86, on standard Linux
desktops/servers, you can do it on ARM and loads of other architectures.

Jim