[Wylug-discuss] Future meetings.........

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 10:40:40 BST 2005

On Tuesday 13 Sep 2005 10:20, Jim Jackson wrote:

> [1] This is part of the world moving bit. several years ago we tended to
> have more interest in "esoteric" topics. This is part of why I'm moving
> on too - to allow others to organise more relevant talks.

My £0.02-worth -

I would come.  Such topics are only partially understood by me, but they
gradually add up to better understanding, so I like to hear them.  I don't
think we should drop the esoteric topics at all, but they need to be
balanced with newbie-centric topics and application topics.

Last night, for instance, I caught part of a comment about templating in
OOo, though I don't know what the rest of the conversation was about.
There are many such application-centric possibilities.  We spoke yesterday
about people thinking that powerpoint was the only possibility for
presentations.  Maybe we should do a "Creating your first presentation
with OpenOffice"?

Gimp is brilliant, but scary to a first-time user.  What about compiling a
list of common tasks in photo-processing and showing how they can be done
in Gimp?

Anne