Fwd: Re: [Wylug-discuss] Future meetings.........

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Tue Sep 13 15:01:39 BST 2005

I'll second Anne and Spencer's contributions. I like to think I
understand the odd sentence or two out of an "esoteric" exposition and I
do find them interesting even though I'm unlikely ever to make use of
what's said. But how much better if there were one "esoteric" and one
"practical" at each meeting. A full session of either is probably too
much, on a regular basis, for both ends of the experience-knowledge
spectrum.

As, essentially, an end user, one who has to plague the wylug-help list
for all the systems stuff, I'd love one or two seasoned practitioners to
help me get more out of OO.o, Gimp, Scribus et al, even Apache or MySQL.
Basics of the file system, so I could put email contents into the other
pile of non-email stuff on the same topic without a lot of hassle, using
OS resources like LaTeX to create various outputs - I've heard it can
all be done, but am a long way off finding out how. I feel I have a
closed box containing a wonderful richness of resource but I only hold
the key to a couple of small compartments.

And I think it would open the meetings up to a wider audience.
Hopefully, it would not lower the level of conversation too far for the
current regulars?

And sorry I didn't make it up to about 21 attendees last night, another
meeting cropped up at short notice, to which my presence was required.

Mike Goodman