[Wylug-discuss] Future meetings.........

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 13:25:17 BST 2005

On Wednesday 14 Sep 2005 13:02, Mischa Oliver Altmann wrote:
> >   1. Some people simply don't know how to maintain threads properly
> >
> >   2. But often one simply can't be sure whether a new point should
> >   branch from an existing thread, continue the main thread or start an
> >   entirely new one.
>
> well, here's one topic for a 10minute session. I realise that there are
> a places to look these things up but many of us don't because we think
> we're doing the right thing already. mailing lists form an integral part
> of most open source development/discussion/help and hence it would be
> worth while to spend some time on it.

On the same lines, a few minute on mailing list etiquette generally, and
why people get wound up about things.  We have a page at
http://mandriva.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/MandrivaMailingListEtiquette
where some informal 'rules' are set, with explanations.  Not all will be
appropriate to wylug, perhaps, but similar points should be covered for
the sake of newbies that have never heard of them.  After all, some
mailers make it quite hard to send plain text, unless you know exactly
what to look for :-)

Speaking of which, a topic that often comes up is "What's the problem with
html messages?"  That could fill another 10 minutes.

Anne