[Wylug-discuss] Future meetings.........

Towle, William william.towle at eldon.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 10:14:21 BST 2005

> On Thu, September 15, 2005 01:27, Towle, William wrote:
> >   It might be useful if these can be worked around, though, or to
> > support some other (largely read-only) documentation medium...?
>
> I'm a strong believer in Wikis for community information resources and
> couple of the LUGs here in New Zealand have adopted Wikis for
> their pages,
> such as WLUG (http://www.wlug.org.nz). In many ways, the Wiki
> provides a
> more persistent resource than a mailing list. The mantra of
> "search the
> mailing list archives before posting a question" is wearing a
> bit thin now
> that people are used to information on-tap from sites such as Google.
> Wikis enable much closer collaboration between group members
> and can also
> produce high quality articles due to the nature of peer review.

  Hmm. With such little context, that looks like you may have the
impression I was against the idea of a traditional wiki somehow;
that wasn't the idea - I was comparing and contrasting what
everything2 has that's different.

  Elaborating on the integrated chatbox feature as one such
example: I've not used E2's messaging system for anything other
than offline chat, but when it's live you can have hyperlinks [to
system pages] amongst the text and it works a lot better in the
long run than the way typing URLs in full in an email does
(plus that's also still an option if you've not learnt how to).

  All I'm saying is that on top of the caveats, there are nice
features too ... if E2 isn't the right system as-is and we
integrate this feature to something else because we like it,
everybody wins either way :)

  Wills.