[Wylug-discuss] October meeting......

steve kirk stevekirk at tienshan.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 20:30:12 BST 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 14:36, Jim Jackson wrote:
> Well funny old world......
>
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Jim Jackson wrote:
> > We have had a long standing offer of a talk for October from a US outfit
> > Coraid Inc.
> >
> > http://www.coraid.com/
> >
> > who are coming over for the UK Linux World 5-6 October
> >
> > http://www.linuxworldexpo.co.uk/
> >
> > The talk is on "EtherDrive - open source network storage" is also a bit
> > esoteric, and I'm wondering whether it's worth them hanging on in the UK
> > and coming north for a meeting where we might not make an audience of 20.
> >
> > I'm minded to cancel. Any comments?
>
> ....Never mind me minded to cancel, After a couple of emails badgering
> them, it turns out THEY aren't coming to linuxworldexpo afterall and so
> can't attend at our next meeting.
>
> So No speakers for October.
>
> OK do we have a few people prepared to just talk for 10-15mins
> about their favorite Linux application, or what they use Linux for?

I've been using a rather neat DTP package called Scribus which is a fine
argument for not having to buy either a Win box and Corel (or equivalent)
or the less awful alternative of buying a Mac and using Quark or one of the
many alternative commercial DTP packages

Its much better than trying to frig publication layouts with Word or O-Office
and better then KWord which tries to do some of the same things

I'd be happy to do 15 mins on the fine art of DTP and equally happy to squash
anyone who tried to persuade me to use TEX or LATEX instead