[Wylug-discuss] Computers to recycle / donate

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 13:09:25 BST 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 11:55, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:29 +0100, Stephen Garton wrote:
> > There's also Freecycle in Leeds, where I'm sure that Given-away pc's
> > will always go down well!

> Going off at a slight tangent...
> With the current legislation on disposal, companies need to be able to
> document how any of kit is disposed of (since if the stuff turns up in a
> landfill or just dumped later, it could be traced back to them and they
> held responsible for it, unless there is appropriate disposal
> paperwork).
>
> Presumably for companies to make equipment available to people (either
> by selling it or giving it away), they need to be able to raise
> appropriate paperwork for this to ensure they don't get hammered later
> on.
>
> Does anyone know what level of paperwork is required?  Can it actually
> be provided by an individual or is this effectively requiring that
> everything go through another party who provides the appropriate
> paperwork (for an appropriate set of fees etc)?
>
> 	Nigel.

The last time I donated kit, I can't remember who to, they had a form that
they presented to me confirming that the equipment was going to be
refurbished and donated onwards, and confirming that they would wipe all HDDs
to some standard or other before installing a new O/S.

Admittedly, this was a while since and legislation has changed since, but I
would imagine that a suitably designed form generated by Janet should
suffice. Provided it enabled any investigating authority to follow up with
the people receiving the equipment I would imagine that would be enough.

I think if the equipment is actually going for disposal it has to be with a
proper registered disposal company.  Any clarification of this would be
useful as I have a small number of PCs and monitors that I'll need to get rid
of soon.

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn