[Wylug-discuss] Computers to recycle / donate

Alan J. Wylie jlyht at wylie.me.uk
Thu Apr 20 13:38:24 BST 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:44:46 +0100, "Janet Flynn" <Janet.Flynn at catholic-care.org.uk> said:

> we have a number of old computers and wonder if you could suggest
> any way we can dispose of them safely or recycle them.

Might I suggest that you contact the same legal professionals that you
consulted when writing the disclaimer at the end of your e-mail, and
together with them and a computer professional (i.e. a member of the
British Computer Society), formulate a data protection policy to
ensure that no personal data that may be stored on the hard discs of
your computers leaves your control.

You may find a bootable floppy such as Darik's Boot and Nuke[1]
useful, but of course you will need to make sure that it is wielded by
a suitably qualified technician.

[1] http://dban.sourceforge.net/

--
Alan J. Wylie                                          http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,