[Wylug-discuss] The UNIX Haters Handbook...

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Mon Aug 14 22:32:42 BST 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 18:14, Jim Jackson wrote:
> I'd not come across this before, but for people interested in UNIX history
> this is an interesting read. It's available on line as a PDF download -
> all 300 odd pages, and I use the word odd advisedly...
>
> http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/unix-haters.html
>
> I make no comment about the host site, or the fact that another of the
> main editors works for Apple - somewhat ironically given Apple's
> conversion to Unix. But the book was published in 1994.
>
> It has an interesting Anti-Forward by Ritchie.
>
> Jim

Thanks for that Jim, I skimmed through this polemic and I couldn't help
thinking Windows all the way through the bits complaining about
incompatibility between versions (and this is a series of OS's written by the
same company) and then the bit about debugging was great. As a programmer who
was once stuck in Microsoft DLL hell I'd have to say that Linux kicks ass
when it comes to debugging.

Shaun Laughey.