[Wylug-discuss] The UNIX Haters Handbook...

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Wed Aug 16 17:27:38 BST 2006

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Mark P. Conmy wrote:

> >> http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/unix-haters.html
> The Mac crowd, in particular, couldn't see that the GUI environment
> wasn't a panacea to all users' requirements - that however limited the
> pipes were, look at how limited the whole graphical metaphor was.

Not only the Mac crowd. Remember the hype over Windows NT! I remember
being told there was no need for a CLI, even though the NT GUI wasn't
initially exportable over a network. Look at XP now - it has a reasonably
strong CLI, and CL programs for all system admin functions. That GUI thing
is a real Universal world beater, not.

Jim