[Wylug-discuss] The UNIX Haters Handbook...

Mark P. Conmy mpc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 17:46:18 BST 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Jim Jackson wrote:

>> The Mac crowd, in particular, couldn't see that the GUI environment
>> wasn't a panacea to all users' requirements - that however limited the
>> pipes were, look at how limited the whole graphical metaphor was.
>
> Not only the Mac crowd. Remember the hype over Windows NT! I remember
> being told there was no need for a CLI, even though the NT GUI wasn't
> initially exportable over a network. Look at XP now - it has a reasonably
> strong CLI, and CL programs for all system admin functions. That GUI thing
> is a real Universal world beater, not.

I do, but it was the Mac crowd (as I recall) that were particularly
anti-Unix and smug about the alleged "perfection" of MacOS...and
objected strongly when you pointed out the numerous problems with Macs.

The GUI/CLI thing's been done to death.  Most people accept (as I feel
the Unix world did even back then) that some jobs are well suited to the
command-line whereas others work well in a GUI.  Pretending /any/
interface is right for all jobs let alone for all levels of user makes
no sense.

Mark