[Wylug-discuss] Mail Clients

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Feb 2 18:43:43 GMT 2006

John writes:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, James Holden wrote:
>
> >     4 Opera M2
> >     9 Mozilla
> >    10 SquirrelMail
> >    20 Gnus
> >    34 slrn
> >    36 Internet Messaging Program
> >   232 Thunderbird
> >   308 Mutt
> >   417 KMail
>
> That list must be wrong, because of mail clients that don't report.

Or which do report, but in odd ways.

> I know I've been using pine on this list (bar a couple of tickles of
> thunderbird and evolution).

Pine identifies itself by having a message ID starting with "<Pine",
specifically "<Pine.LNX" for Pine on Linux.  For example John's message
I'm quoting has the ID:

   <Pine.LNX.4.64.0602020853430.31244 at vev10.yrrqf.np.hx>

(The last time I looked at Pine it was using the hostname after the @ in
the message ID.  The above seems to've been rot13ed (".hx" isn't a valid
country code), presumably so that if really stupid spam address
harvesters mistake message IDs for e-mail addresses it doesn't get them
anywhere?)

I don't know how Evolution identifies itself.

At least some mails sent with Outlook seem to have some reference to
Exchange in them (and at least some of these don't say "Internet
Messaging Program").

And GMail _et al_ are also missing from the above list ...

Smylers