[Wylug-discuss] Display oddity

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 17:38:34 GMT 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 04:22:58PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Just wondering whether this is a common problem :-)
>
> I have a new Samsung LCD monitor.  AutoAdjust sets the display nicely, which
> is just as well, because so far I haven't had much success with the manual
> setup.  However, I use a KVM, and whenever I switch back from my second
> display I find that the display is slightly shifted to the right.  Anything
> with a scroll bar has to be hitched over to the left.  I can AutoAdjust
> again, of course.

Hi,

If I've understood you correctly, and my experience with KVMs is typical,
then what you are seeing is also perfectly normal.

I have 4 boxes on a KVM (1x Mac Mini, 1x WinXP on Dell Dimension, 1x
Linux on Dell Dimension, 1x Linux on Via Mini-ITX).  Whenever I use the
KVM to switch between the proprietary OSes and Linux I get a small
horizontal offset.  Interestingly, no such problem occurs between Mac
and Windows.

My 'solution' is: put up with using the monitor's auto adjust when I
have to.

Mostly I don't care, because:

  a) I'm a bit of a keyboard jockey and don't often use the scrollbars.

  b) The scrolling problem usually only affects full screen windows, and
  I rarely use them for apps that I need to mouse around.

Dave