[Wylug-discuss] KDE

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 13:50:34 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 09:29, Smylers wrote:
> There could be several reasons for this:
>
> * KDE is so restrictive that it doesn't work well with non-KDE apps,
> so if you use KDE then you shouldn't expect to be able to use non-KDE
> apps.

Certainly not.  There's no reason at all to be bound to kde apps.

> * KDE is so good that absolutely everything you could ever want is
>   provided with a ksomethingorother, so if you use KDE you never need
> to look outside it ever again.

Equally certainly not, IMO.  I use perhaps half a dozen gnome apps
fairly regularly because they may not be as pretty but the meet what I
need better than the kde alternative.

> But collectively they make me more apprehensive about KDE.  I realize
> that one can run Gnome apps in KDE (and vice versa), but having the
> back-ends for either one of them loaded is enough to make people like
> Jim look on in astonishment; having both of them loaded on a regular
> basis doesn't sound like a good use of resources.

Really?  I don't know about this, but I've certainly not seen any sign
of resource-poverty when using gnome apps under kde.  Surely in most
cases only what is needed is loaded?  I'm not challenging you - just
surprised at your statement.

> > configureable  mail filter options ,
>
> How does that work?  What's it offer above Procmail?  Why would one
> want to filter mail in an MUA?  Does that mean if you check for mail
> with a different MUA your mail is no longer filtered (because it only
> happens on checking mail, rather than on delivery)?

Take for instance mail that is delivered by procmail to imap
directories.  Maybe certain messages would be useful in a local copy?
Local filtering can be set up to automaticlly work on certain matches,
or, more likely, to work on manual application.

I love the configurability of kmail, but it is not brilliant for imap
mail.  In particular, its searching of imap mail is not good.  If a
folder is used as a searchable resource then copying it to local would
be worth while.

> That's a problems with rival systems in general; most people are
> committed to one, so it's hard to find a decent comparison between
> them!

Absolutely, which is why I'd really like to see some demonstrations of
how people like to work with common tasks.  The way you are used to is
always best, until you see someone doing something that really would
enhance your experience.

Anne