[Wylug-discuss] KDE

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 3 15:05:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Smylers wrote:

> I'm less attached to Mutt than I am to Vim, but I can't imagine
> switching to something that isn't console-based.  For a start, I want to
> be able to run it over SSH in a terminal.

I've almost been tempted in the past to run two different mail clients so that
I can have my cake and eat it.  But everytime I try, I actually skulk back to
pine, as it does everything I *really* need.

> How does that work?  What's it offer above Procmail?  Why would one want
> to filter mail in an MUA?  Does that mean if you check for mail with a
> different MUA your mail is no longer filtered (because it only happens
> on checking mail, rather than on delivery)?

Horrible.  Much nicer having all filtering done by procmail, and having all
mail (including sent-mail, postponed etc.) accessed through IMAP.  Then you
can play with new mail client v1.5, and try it casually without ever
committing in the slightest to a change.

>> auto file previews on local files gives you a preview of the contents
>> before opening
>
> But only if I decide that using a file manager is going to work better
> for me than Bash.

The zoominess sounds not unpleasant, but I've found konqueror seems really
dated compared to nautlius which is very clean (once you've turned off bloody
spatial mode).

>> i find it easyer to surf with than the others
>
> Any chance you can describe why?

It seems to cope with odd javascript and the like as well as anything, and
I've had it work on sites that firefox didn't.

> If I do switch it'll probably because of lots of little things, things
> 'between' my main apps, if you see what I mean.  For example, the
> audiocd:/ looks very spiffy, with no interface at all for ripping MP3s
> from CDs -- just pretending that they already exist and magically making
> them happen if needed!  And camera:/ too.

I agree, very Inferno.  This is the sort of thing that could be all wired in
through Fuse though so that it ends up being at a lower level.  Then we can
all just use it from bash ;)

What does KDE use for audio these days?  I've become quite attached to
gstreamer.

jh

--
"Good Christian people who wouldn't dream of misbehaving will not catch Aids.
  My message to the businessmen of this country when they go abroad on business