[Wylug-discuss] KDE

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 23:45:20 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:21:00PM +0000, Dan Walker wrote:
> On Monday 02 Jan 2006 17:55, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > KDE is so big and so powerful that I seriously doubt if anyone here can
> > do justice to all of it.  Perhaps it would be possible for someone to
> > produce a laptop with a recent kde installed, for a collaborative demo?
>
> Oh, I'm so going to regret this. :-)

Too late to take it back now, Dan ;-)

... and thanks so much!

> I have a laptop with Kubuntu Breezy on it, which is KDE 3.4.3. I'm happy to
> demo any features people want to ask about, but I can't promise to be there
> before 7 - I have train issues. I won't have time to prepare much before
> then, so it'd be Q&A.

That would be absolutely fine.

I've got too much on my plate right now to intervene fully in this
thread, but it has been interesting, and it did stir one discussion idea
that might address Smylers's early observation about the paucity of
genuinely cross-platform perspectives on desktop environments.

I was thinking that one way to avoid the useless heat and friction in
flamewars (I appreciate that conflict can also be productive), would be
to ask users of one desktop environment to report on the positive
advantages they found in the 'opposing' desktop after trying to use it
for mainstream work over a reasonable period (week, month?).

I (a somewhat CLI-oriented Gnome user) would be happy to try living
with KDE for a month.  Recent experience tells me that I'd hate it
initially, but I'm confident that I'd learn many positive things over
the longer term.

I think we'd get best results from such an experiment if we could
persuade a few members from each side of the 'desktop divide' to take up
the challenge.

Anyone else up for it?

Dave

P.S. I really don't want  to criticise anyone personally or to suggest a
prescriptive policy, but speaking purely for myself, I find it quite
hard to read posts without punctuation, case switching, and the standard
visual cues for english reading (e.g. line and paragraph breaks).