[Wylug-discuss] KDE

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 10:24:31 GMT 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, RichardA wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:08:27 +0000 (GMT), John Hodrien
> <johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>> The zoominess sounds not unpleasant, but I've found konqueror seems
>> really dated compared to nautlius which is very clean (once you've
>> turned off bloody spatial mode).
>
> Why does everyone hate spatial mode? It's slower than a folder tree for
> complicated operations or deeply nested folders, but if I open ~/tmp my
> eyes and mouse pointer are heading in the right direction before the
> window has finished drawing. My muscle memory 'knows' I'll see a large
> window on the RH of the screen, full of junk.
> In the same way, if I leave a folder on my desk IRL, it stays where I
> put it last, cleaners permitting.

I think the problem is almost as you've described.  It works well for poorly
structured chaos, and works badly for nicely structured order.  So my nice and
organised home directory becomes more of a pain to use than before, yet /tmp
becomes nice.  Yuk!  I just use a shell...

> I'd like a Gnome applet which did this, but overall I like the
> simplicity of Gnome, and the lack of inessential options.

Which is what I like too (coming from a sawfish config with no context menu
only keyboard shortcuts).

jh

--
"I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly
  reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the