[Wylug-discuss] KDE

RichardA pingvin at simaric.net
Wed Jan 4 01:05:10 GMT 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:08:27 +0000 (GMT), John Hodrien
<johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> The zoominess sounds not unpleasant, but I've found konqueror seems
> really dated compared to nautlius which is very clean (once you've
> turned off bloody spatial mode).

Why does everyone hate spatial mode? It's slower than a folder tree for
complicated operations or deeply nested folders, but if I open ~/tmp my
eyes and mouse pointer are heading in the right direction before the
window has finished drawing. My muscle memory 'knows' I'll see a large
window on the RH of the screen, full of junk.
In the same way, if I leave a folder on my desk IRL, it stays where I
put it last, cleaners permitting.

One thing I really liked in KDE was that my home folder could be
represented as a menu on the panel, which made drilling down to and
opening any file really quick.
I think OS X can do the same, and Win XP almost does (it mixes up the
Start menu and the real filesystem, and doesn't differentiate between
them. They should have different background colours or something).
I'd like a Gnome applet which did this, but overall I like the
simplicity of Gnome, and the lack of inessential options.

Richard